Spring has sprung in Colorado and things are turning green, we’re thinking about our garden, and I’m starting a 30-day Plant based Challenge! Lately, a number of people have been interested in how I eat, asking why, if it’s difficult, … Continue reading
Day 13 of the #plantfueledyoga Challenge starts the Whole Food & Whole Body Flow series!
For the next 3 days, Sarah and I will be delving into plant-based foods you already know and love, a myth behind eating a Whole-food diet, and then giving you a delicious recipe that puts your whole foods on your plate.
Top 5 Plant-Based Whole Foods you already Eat & Love
You don’t need to eat cardboard or weird fungi to enjoy a plant-based diet (although mushrooms are amazing!) In fact you probably already eat more of Vegan/Vegetarian than you may think!
- Pasta. Nearly all pasta (with the exception of egg noodles) are naturally animal-product free! And with the huge advances in the food industry, you can buy pasta made from brown rice, spelt and quinoa! Variety is the spice of life, so try something new in your meatless meal.
- Beans. They really are a magical fruit! You name it, these bad boys are delicious, full of protein, and completely meat free! Try chickpeas, black beans, pinto beans, green beans, navy beans, butter beans, great northern beans, soy beans…ok, you get the picture!
- Fruits and Veggies. Yup, every piece of raw fruit and vegetable you consume is vegan friendly. Whether you’re munching on an apple, crunching on a piece of pepper, or noshing on a banana, you never ask for the ‘Vegan fruit’.
- Salsa & Hummus. If you’re just going for the classics (without cheese, meat bits or queso added) these dips are deliciously meat-free. Get saucey and try dipping veggies into your hummus or making sweet potato chips to slather in salsa. Get loco!
- Grains. Whole grains are essential for your over-all nutrition and choosing whole over white, processed grains will do your body good! Brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, couscous, millet, barley….oh my! Have at it with these delicious grains and know you’re eating meatless.
Today’s Whole Body Flow Challenge: Sun Salutations
This is such a beautiful way to start and end your day. Especially if you’re traveling and don’t have a ton of time. Especially if you need a few moments to yourself, to focus on the days tasks, to center yourself before diving in. To ground down to your true core.
Start off in mountain pose, grounding your feet into the ground. Raise your hands up on the inhale, and exhale your hands to heart center.
Inhale your hands up again, cactusing your arms open on the exhale. On the inhale bring them over your head again, then exhale and dive over your feet, spilling your whole body, bending at the waist.
Plant your hands on the ground. On the inhale, halfway lift, keeping your hands on the floor and letting them slide up your shins (keep a straight back here).
On the exhale put your hands on the ground and step back into high plank. Hold here. Inhale and on the exhale lower down into chaturanga (with your elbows close to your side). Inhale into Updog, flipping your feet under and bringing your chest through your hands. Exhale into downdog.
Here’s a great video I’ll be doing to get me going this morning: Sun Salutations.